what is god and why should one subscribe, page-46

1. 27,539 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    RM you quoted Dawkins:

Professor Dawkins: I suppose I felt that I did not really need to stress evil because, in a way, many of the things that we call evil do seem to follow more naturally from the Darwinian background. One does not really need to stress that one expects that selfishness, ruthlessness, aggression, riding roughshod over the needs of others weaker than ourselves, are likely to follow from Darwinian natural selection. I suppose I ought to say that, as a passionate Darwinian in the academic sense that I believe Darwinism is the explanation for all of life, I am also a passionate anti-Darwinian when it comes to deriving values for our own life. A pretty good definition of the kind of society in which I don’t want to live is a society founded in the principles of Darwinism. That is, in a way, the central message of my lecture.

I fully expect a person who does not believe in the theory of evolution to reject Darwinism as an explanation of life but would expect him/her to agree that Darwinism shouldn't be used to model society. Morally, I don't see too much wrong with this analysis from a person who goes along with the theory of evolution.

The reaction to realising that our lives are short is not universal. Some may go on a binge and some may say "this is all we have, so lets make life as meaningful and comfortable for everybody as we can". In my opinion a stand like this based on a sense of kindness and empathy carries more weight than doing good for rewards at the end of the road.

Like Charles Darwin said the suprior races should eventually overcome the inferior races of man.
    The racist attitude displayed here does not prove that evolution is an incorrect theory anymore that those who kill in the name of God prove that God doesn't exist.

There are no absolutes although you hear atheists all the time claim things that are absolutely wrong or right, basically showing a poor understanding of their own philosophy.

There is a huge range of views by atheists whose only common denominator is that they are unconvinced that there is sufficient evidence to show that God exists - it's not that surprising that they have a range of views on many topics. In the case of theists their belief in God (or Gods) doesn't prevent a huge range of views. The views expressed on this forum is a small sample of this.

We should, in my opinion, be mindful that we frequently do not share each others views and that each person's views are valid to him/herself.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.