"Jesus said this about his church Matt16:18 New King James...

1. 8,407 Posts.
    "Jesus said this about his church

Matt16:18
    New King James Version
    And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it."

Actually we have no direct record of Jesus saying those words.
    Only the author(s) of Matthew reported him as saying it.

All 3 gospels report Peter as pronouncing the "bombshell" (at the time) claim that Jesus is the Christ.
    Yet only Matt 16:18 records any commission for Peter regarding the foundation of his church.
    A strange omission considering this would have been a very, very important indication for the future direction and heirachy of the church.

Especially since only a short while later, Jesus declares Peter akin to Satan because of the temptation of his lack of understanding of what must happen.
    Why would Jesus prematurely appoint such an unfinished disciple as the foundation of his future church.

Then of course there is Paul, someone who never even met Jesus, but had more actual influence on the development of the church than Peter.

My impression is that you haven't actually researched any of your beliefs beyond trust in what your Mum and your church authorities tell you, but do you have any independent views on the above ??

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.