@DBT9 - there have been many meteorite impacts, some small, some...

1. 18,124 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 168
    @DBT9 - there have been many meteorite impacts, some small, some massive - and as a result, mass extinctions too - (I will get the time-line right, am busy atm.) I think the last minor meteorite was in the late 19th century.
    Also volcanoes have wrought mayhem around the globe and throughout history. One in living history caused a whole movement of people south and into Europe (the mongol invasions of Dschingis Khan were caused by lack of proper grass for their mostly horse-based culture, so they went south - and west) sun was blocked by refuse from huge volcanic explosion for a long time, stunting of a specific grass which horses feed on - cattle can exist on a variety of grasses, it seems (I am no farmer).
    There is an Englishman (Graham Hancock) who did a Netflix documentary, who proposes an entire theory of 'other-worldly' creatures having visited earth, after major geological events - all based on factual geological information found on ancient monuments (in Asia Minor and Mexico, also talks about the 'Badlands'). The sites he visits are real, some of the explanations make sense, but I don't believe in his insistence that an advanced civilisation sent their emissaries to earth to 'teach mankind' - the rest is worth watching. I love his explanation of how a sky-full of lightning strikes could be interpreted as 'snakes' by many ancient belief systems.

A less well-known fast is that in the years preceding the French revolution one of the larger Icelandic volcanoes erupted and the refuse kept on blocking the sun for a number of years, causing crop failures in Western Europe - hence 'no bread' - the people were literally starving, before they decided 'no more kings nor queens - and went on that bloody rampage called the 'French Revolution'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas_impact_hypothesis

Here is hoping we now have the means to avert a major meteorite - and can monitor ever-rumbling volcanoes.
    Taurisk

for a bit of entertainment:

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.