"UT - Congratulations of being a rare and dying breed, that is,...

1. 18,774 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    "UT - Congratulations of being a rare and dying breed, that is, investing for income not capital gains."
    If you only focus on capital gains then you only see half the picture and generally the investment will cost you more money. Whereas if you look at it purely from a return perspective with capital gains as the bonus you find properties that are more likely to pay for themselves. At a bare minimum if you never actually make a capital gain, you will have the value of the asset (in inflation adjusted dollars) and it will still earn you money!

"You say you used fixed loans, somewhere around the 15 year mark. I believe Commonwealth Bank is the only one who offer such long term periods. When I checked at the bottom of the rate cycle they were offering 15 years for around 6.99%. I haven't seen property offering this sort of yield in years and currently it's generally around 4-4.5%. So I am correct to assume you have sizeable deposit such that your rental income covers the mortgage rate?"

Yeah Commonwealth Bank is the only one that I know has the 15 year fixed - mine are in the low 7s. I got in before the rates really started to go up a couple of years ago. Sure I could stay on variable but fixed rates contain the costs, and when these loans reach their end I will be in an even stronger financial position.
    As for the return well to get a good return you need to generally look at the bottom end of the market. Find the cheapest properties, do some minor enhancements to make them look better and boost returns. Also think about doing things like renting a house and a separate granny flat etc - it all helps boost the return (as I have said before you need to think outside the square).
    No I did not have a large deposit - bare minimum in fact.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.