What is the true meaning of “repent”?

1. 644 Posts.
    Often when I see Christians preaching repentance, I see some incongruous retorts from individuals. It appears that most Christians agree that we are called to repent. However, it seems that the differing understandings of what “repent” truly means are causing confusion and **. It is incredibly important to understand the true meaning of repentance, so important in fact, that your very salvation can be in peril if you get it wrong.

What is the Merriam-Webster definition? See for yourself: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/repent

To put it simply, the biblical meaning of repent is: To feel sorrow, regret and/or contrition for ones past and to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life.

Many professed Christians today think that to repent means to apologize to God, say a few “sinner’s prayers”, five “Hail Mary’s” and perhaps depending on which denomination they belong, to confess their sins to a priest. This is NOT true repentance, and these individuals have been deceived into thinking that God will tolerate Christians living lives of unrepentant, wilful sin and then welcome us with open arms when He returns.

Whilst God was manifest in the flesh on this earth as Jesus Christ, He was very clear:

“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”(Luke 13:3)

“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matthew 7:22-23)

The grace of God the Father and the Son be with you all.
    Last edited by TheWayOfHoliness: 30/09/22

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.