What is "treasure in heaven"?, page-25

1. 27,539 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Whereu, the book of Revelation although being relevant to the time period in which it was written, also pointed forward to the Lord's day which began in 1914.
    (Revelation 1:10) By inspiration I came to be in the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a strong voice like that of a trumpet,
    While World War II was still under way, in 1942, Jehovah’s Witnesses had already discerned from the Bible, at Revelation 17:8, that the world peace organization, the League of Nations, would rise again, also that it would fail to bring lasting peace. This was explained by N. H. Knorr, then president of the Watch Tower Society, in the convention discourse “Peace—Can It Last?”
    This was based on their understanding of that prophecy.
    (Revelation 17:8) The wild beast that you saw was, but is not, and yet is about to ascend out of the abyss, and it is to go off into destruction. And the inhabitants of the earth—those whose names have not been written in the scroll of life from the founding of the world—will be amazed when they see how the wild beast was, but is not, and yet will be present
    On the other hand, Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish leaders actually shared in the deliberations in San Francisco in 1945 during which the UN Charter was drafted. To observers of these developments, it was plain who wanted to be “a friend of the world” and who was endeavoring to be “no part of the world,” as Jesus had said would be true of his disciples.—Jas. 4:4; John 17:14.

I pointed out that Revelation 17 can be be understood much better in terms of current events of the time, and not in terms of events 2,000 years down the track. The message may be for all time, but not the events.

Assuming that WW1 and the League of Nations were mentioned in Revelation can only be backed by a great deal of imaginative interpretation - an interpretation that has been proved to be false by Watchtower unfulfilled predictions.

The fact that Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish leaders actually shared in the deliberations in San Francisco in 1945 during which the UN Charter was drafted can also be interpreted as these organisations wanting to introduce some spirituality into the process.

Just sitting back and doing nothing (“no part of the world,” ) is a misinterpretation of Jesus' message because he met with people, including sinners, where they were. He never practised an isolationist theology.

Many continue today oblivious of the urgency of the times in which we live.

Not true in my experience. People react differently from what you think is an appropriate response to the urgency of "the times" but that doesn't indicate that they are oblivious.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.