Sancta SimplicitusSome have used the term postmodern to step...

1. 6,711 Posts.
    Sancta Simplicitus

Some have used the term postmodern to step away from the rigid thinking of so called modernism. It kind of started with art and made its way into all sorts of thinking including religion. I believe it refers to a general dissatisfaction of how the modern world turned out.

As for the last 5,000 years of moral absolutes––well, in general they have been appallingly dark ages if you were not one of the elite. It included mind-numbing servitude, starvation and disease, death or transportation for minor crimes, limited, if at all access to any kind of education and being subject to the whims of despotic churches.

We do live in a world that is relative - that's a fact, as Sarcophagus has clearly pointed out.

This age is like no other. Nations are now pressed cheek to jowl against each other. There's a great collision of isms and religious belief and legal and moral concepts. I know Christians would hope for a world built on Anglicised Christian values that may or may not represent the original intentions of Christ's teachings. However, other valid religions with other points of view have arrived on our doorstep. So now we have to deal with limp-wristed political correctness on one hand that seems not to understand the seriousness of capital crimes including murder. I for one have no idea how a murderer can ever be released. And on the other hand the mindless brutality of the ignorant beasts of Islam who can publicly throttle or stone somebody to death for a personal action.

I don't believe that the moral laws you speak of are all suspect, however you can't expect that social laws are fixed and should not move with the times. We are becoming a global community faster than our institutions can follow and it only stands to reason that this age would have its difficulties.

Dickens nailed it beautifully––

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.