what is your trading story?, page-2

1. 17,802 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 162
    Timbo,

My trading life hasn't been as long as yours. Bought my first shares at 18 however, the following day they were up 100%.

Thought that this kit was easy until I saw the shares fall and fall some more. Consolidations and the like I would be surprised if the initial $2500 investment would buy me a box of beer. The shares are in my old mans name in NZ.

Looked further in 2007-8 where I told myself that an investor would only go near ASX200 companies. SUN, MQG, ASX and similar companies. Going into 2009 where my 'investments' were suddenly not so secure I dumped the lot. Lucky enough to buy a few back in March 2009 (complete fluke) whereby a mate in my work started talking about PRR. Kid you not it was .05 or a CENT! But, it wasn't a top 200. Why would I buy it?

Watching PRR go up towards 10 cents, and buying some around 7 cents taught me that there was more to 'investing'.

Over the past couple of years have bought shares dabbled with the oppies and have thought I was going to be a gazillionaire. I have found buying the easy part. I would honestly say that the vast majority of my purchases have gone up in the SHORT TERM. But not selling means that my 'investing' mind set did not fit. WHY?

Following the likes of yourself and Boiler and Musashi, I have learnt that there is more to it.

My dayjob is not Trading. It is something I have fallen into, but the shares and the trading gets in the way.
    Why, because I like it.

My lesson for 2011 - Buying is easy. Selling is an ART.

Merry Christmas all Happy New Year!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.