what is your trading story?, page-41

1. 166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    My share market story:

I'm 25 years old and have been involved in the sharemarket since 2007. My family were offered to buy shares in BYL at $1. A few weeks after the float it was $1.85. I was completely inexperienced and I had $2000 in it. I thought this was great! I thought it was easy money and it was going to keep going higher. Subsequently, it went back down to $1 and I got out as I didn't feel I knew enough about it. Lucky I did, as it is now trading at 25c. However, it got me thinking that this could be a good way to make money as a hobby.

I got interested in the sharemarket during the GFC, however as I was inexperienced, I didn't realise it was a golden time to buy. I bought ANZ for $16, and it then dipped to $11. Had to wait a while, but eventually sold it for $20. I made my first profit :)

Unfortunately I have a habit of picking a stock just before it goes down a lot. I bought in 2010 Worley Parsons for $27.64, and held it during the entire year as it went down to as low as $19. Rebought BYL for 37.5c and it went down to 20c. Sold both of them at the end of the year for a poor profit. I bought Newcrest Mining last week for $34.13 and it's gone down to $31.60. Have learnt not to put all my money in though, so I have got enough cash on the sidelines to average out my price.

I'm glad to say that each year I've traded I've made a profit. Am hoping I can find a company that at least doubles in value.

I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's contributions on HotCopper also.

Hope everyone has a merry Christmas and New Year!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.