IRN 0.00% 29.5¢ indophil resources nl

what now,comrades in arms, page-13

1. 12,484 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    The EIS process will prompt a new and major round of stakeholder consultations. Will possibly go on for eons and chew up more dump truck loads of cash. Seems perhaps that Noy Noy might not move to enforce the Mining Act until after the EIS has reached final draft stage. I stand to be corrected but I say that because this article (link below) indicates he may wait for the pending "appeal" of the open-cut ban to be decided. And from what we know that appeal may not be decided until the EIS process is in final draft stages.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/323386/gov-t-stands-behind-tampakan-investments

Pasted below is the specific paragraph from that article that raises my eyebrow and it seems to have a whiff of "I won't really do anything". After all, Noynoy speaks to a left leaning base and fighting for Tampakan is a vote loser for him. Perhaps others read this paragraph differently.

Refer -
    "However, hearing on the policy issuance of the provincial government of South Cotabato banning open pit mining in the province is yet under appeal. And the national government will just come in once the province?s jurisdiction over this will have ceased"

Typical frustrating Filipino uncertainty. I really want to see this issue sorted out but I have very little faith in this guy. Previously he has been quoted as saying he supports mining, but only where it is locally supported. That hardly instils confidence he will attempt to enforce national legislation. What can he do anyway? Limit funding to defiant provincial governments? Threaten them with lawsuits? Very risky and vote losing options that do not gel well with populist politics.

In another article it looks like the national government will focus on post-closure issues. Rightly so IMO, as they are the major environmental legacies from the 70's mineral boom, and there is no one around to pick up the damage bills. Sth Cotabato Governor Pingoy has been saying similar things about post-closure issues.

Refer -

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Corporate&title=Mining-company-told-to-comply-with-rules-to-operate-Tampakan&id=33346

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IRN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.