I think if you have trees lining most of the country roads and...

1. 17,117 Posts.
    I think if you have trees lining most of the country roads and highways, it leaves very little room for error.

There does not need to have excessive speed involved, but if you are cruising at 110 kph, the slightest error, or taking the eyes off the road for a second, and the car drifts to the left and whammo there is a tree very close by.

Why ?
    Many of our roads have not been upgraded or improved in 50 years, they are little better than a goat track with bitumen cover.

My daughter was killed last year, in a single vehicle accident. She was not speeding, she came around a bend, the tyre marks were barely 6" off the bitumen, into the gravel of the rear LHS, obviously sufficient to send the vehicle off balance and into a sideways slide, they think she tried to correct it, it spun out of control and smashed into a tree on the opposite side of the road.
    The tree was just 60 metres from where the tyre marks first touched the gravel.
    It was a friends old car, no side airbags to save her.
    She had no chance once the side of the car impacted into the tree.
    We have no idea if another driver coming in the opposite direction forced her off the road. There were no witnesses
    on the lonely stretch of road.

I see the locals are again calling for the various governments to spend the money to fix the road, they say the locals are aware of all the traps, but not a newbie.
    She was not familiar with the road.
    The locals say it is a goat track in places, a winding road, barely 6 feet wide, leaving no room for driver error.

I see so many young people, with a mobile phone to their ear, or texting as they are driving. I have had to put my foot on the accelerator, to get out of the road of a drunk, or drugged driver heading straight for me, in suburban streets.

A car is a powerful vehicle, there are so many things that can go wrong, the slightest mistake is all it takes.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.