APT 0.00% $66.47 afterpay limited

What the depression in Australia would do to apt, page-54

1. 5,524 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1391
    The only difference between the insurance and credit card example is the nature of the product. Banks provide credit, hence, unlike insurance, the behaviour of their credit card portfolio relies almost exclusively on consumer behaviour that banks have no control over.

As you noted when you buy an insurance policy you know what it'll cost you.
    The same can be said for credit cards which are a clearly outlined product. The banks clearly cannot give you information on how much interest you'll be paying because it depends entirely on you as the consumer. Banks and credit providers are needed and unfortunately some people getting caught in these debt traps is a side effect but none of this makes it predatory.

However, I agree that more can be done on informing consumers. For example, I think it should be mandatory to provide information on how much interest is expected to be paid over the life of a loan, whether car, personal or mortgage. It is not clear to the average person how much they will be spending and more importantly it's not immediately obvious how much difference an interest rate that's lower by only 20 basis points can do over the life of a mortgage. Banking is certainly moving towards more transparency and all mortgage calculators already provide this information but more can always be done.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.