RamPage01, keep in mind the network being built is for our...

1. 24,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1

RamPage01, keep in mind the network being built is for our requirements in 10 years time (when it is finished) and beyond.

The issue I have been talking about is the connection from the exchange to the Street Cabinets, which will be the "bottle necks".

For example, using a "single" shared line from the Street Cabinets to the exchange, with a large number of residences connected to the Street Cabinet, will be what creates the "bottle neck". Which is what the UK example shows was being done there.

I think one of the estimates for Street Cabinets needed for Australia's FTTN was around 86,000, so for every $1,000 the cost of each Street Cabinets can be reduced, this would equate to $86 million per $1,000.

So there is a large saving potential by using the cheaper version of the FTTN, and disregarding any planning for an upgrade path.

I still believe it is a false economy to try and save a maximum of $15 billion over 8-10 years at the expense of ending up with an inferior network that has a dramatically shorter lifespan before needing to be upgraded and potentially requiring more than the $15 billion for the upgrade.

The current NBN plan is to set a "minimum" speed of 12Mbps, with the potential to increase beyond 1Gbps in the next 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years as our needs grow as they always do.

If we where talking FTTN 5 years ago for around $12 billion to be completed in 4 to 5 years (now), then it may have been a valid argument.

But 5 years has passed and to implement a FTTN plan now could take another 2 years of planning, negotiating and ACCC approvals etc, before it could even start.

If I find the link that goes into the detail of the upgrade issue from FTTN to FTTH, I will post.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.