What we pay for electricity

1. 3,973 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 90
    I have noticed that Scomo's back flip on installing new gas plant into the Hunter region so I thought I would look at the general state of play.
    To do this, I looked at the costs of installing a 13.5kWh Tesla power wall at approx $14k in my house knowing that it has a 10 year warranty or 10000 Charge-discharge, so for the point of this exercise I will use a 10 year life span.
    Going on the average household summer usage, for best case scenario
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2495/2495497-42baea21e71f40e0f11b5bc4250696c2.jpg
    I know Ausgrid are charging me roughly 27C a KWH and get paid approx 8C KWH for my feed in tarriff,
    If I assume that I can save 13.5kWH a day on my battery, (knowing that a battery unit will not fully discharge and may not fully charge), so i am assuming best case scenario,
    the best savings over 10 years is approx $12.5K. neglecting NPV in my calculation
    I can explain my math's further if you require, but put simply, yes I do get a good return on a 6.6kw ($3.3k) solar panels but no a ($14k) storage battery is not worth it.
    I reckon we need a Govt with the kahuna's to take on the greens and the greedy market participants, otherwise we are stuffed!
    Energy prices will keep rising due to the market we created!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.