NEA 0.00% $2.10 nearmap ltd

Isn't this technology just a really high resolution camera...

1. 299 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 141
    Isn't this technology just a really high resolution camera taking a picture on top of a building?

Nearmap's IP is not just in their own high resolution camera systems, it is their ability and consistency to do high altitude aerial photography from inside a small ultra light aeroplane that is traveling at well over 300km/h. There camera system will need to record extremely accurate GPS coordinates and provide stabilisation to withstand extreme air turbulences & compensate for general aircraft vibrations in real time without adversely affecting picture quality. In addition, any would be Nearmap competitor will also need to crack the ability to accurately stitch tens and even hundreds of thousands of images within hours of them being taken then publish the information in a usable manner to a massive user audience.

Although you've alerted us to an interesting article, but I would hardly rate using a very high resolution camera taking a downward looking photo from the top of a building a challenger to Nearmap's technological Advantage.

The article also doesn't provide any details as to how many images are being stitched together? 2,4,6,12?

For example, are they stitching a dozen photos taken on top of a very stationary building with a camera mounted on a very stationary tripod over a few days ? Then these dozen images are then manually stitched via a mix of "photoshop" and "human eye matching technology" in a back office sweat shop in China ? Nobody really knows & conveniently the article doesn't provide any details at all.

I also want to highlight that none of the reference links in the article provided any details to this technology either, but suffice to say that none of the photos were taking directly downward (i.e at 90 degrees) from an aircraft. All their sample photos feel like as if they have been taken on top of other buildings.

Not sure why anyone thinks this will make Nearmap obselete.

This is like saying a banana will make an orange obsolete because they are both fruits that you can eat.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NEA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.