What would life be like ..., page-36

1. 37,555 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 407
    Rem

And there sadly the problem lies.

I started this thread because the common emerging theme is that NO demographic will accept increased taxes (however they may be delivered), reduced benefits (however they may be dealt) or reduced government services (all the ones we all take for granted).

My "meekly" suggested alternative was that we might choose to consume a bit less and work a little more. A problem with that is that if we consume a bit less that means we need to produce (and import) a little less. Unchecked that means we either accept lower productivity, work less hours or get paid less if we are to avoid job losses. Jobs I feel are the heart n soul of what gives purpose, meaning and self sufficiency so that's why I suggested we take up the slack with voluntary work freed up from reduced paid work. You and a few others on this thread have arc'd up righteously about this alternative.

Have we become a nation of spoilt souls who won't lift a collective finger to save ourselves? Is this the what underlies clear recent decline in mature western economies?

Other alternatives are becoming less obvious unless it is something outside the square like a radical change to the way the country is governed ... eg, Lucca Belgiorno Nettis's proposal for a people's congress to formulate policy for a government to enact? That would break the cycle of inaction we have been stalled in for a decade as pollie after pollie buckles at the prospect of good governance under the onslaught of righteous social media attack?

Rem, I have studied hard and worked hard now for over 40 years, as no doubt millions of Australians have done. I would do all the things I suggested in this thread.

What would you do to position Australia for the next 40 years?

Dex
    Last edited by poyndexter: 28/12/16
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.