WFE 0.00% 2.4¢ winmar resources limited

Whate Really is goig ON, page-360

1. 9,128 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18268
    I still see a role for cobalt in batteries, unless there is a move to lithium solid state batteries, where the cathode itself changes form, but that is some time away IMO. Also, battery types will depend on asset life so the better batteries will have a lower cobalt content, but I think it will be some time before cobalt is fully removed from batteries, if at all, and that is going to require a lot of R&D. Now for others an anode in a battery is graphite, whereas the cathode can either contain i.) nickel, cobalt and manganese (NCM batteries) or ii.) nickel, cobalt aluminium (NCA) chemistries. Most current batteries are NCM based, but Tesla is focussing on NCA type batteries.

Solid state batteries replace graphite in the anode with lithium, among other things. Lithium in the anode when combined with a solid electrolyte and electrode and a cathode more reflective of lithium as well in solid state batteries appears unstable based on my own reading and that is why in the other thread I said that technology might be some way away in this area (as there is still a lot of R&D still required in this area). But I suspect these battery types may still need some cobalt in the cathodes.

Following on from from what Telsa is saying, they are actually saying they want to remove cobalt from the EV battery because of 'ethical sourcing issues' from the DRC. If we follow that logic then what Tesla would also be saying is they wouldn't want that lithium supply/deposit we are both invested in, and to be frank I think Telsa is full of wind when it comes to these issues - see the second link below in particular where one of Telsa's concerns going forward in EV batteries (and batteries for the home storage market) is cobalt supply.

However, NCA batteries, which is what Tesla operates under, and NCM batteries, which relates to the rest are having reduced quantities of cobalt but still need cobalt for the overall efficiency of the battery. It is improvements in battery technology which is making EV distances longer under their battery power, albeit noting cobalt's use in batteries is falling but not falling to 0% IMO. Until R&D can show stability in the battery in relation to the ions moving from the anode and cathode in solid state batteries even, cobalt will still have a role in batteries, IMO

The below articles explain why Tesla is seeking to remove cobalt in its batteries (it is around 4kg per battery in the cathode compared to 11kg at the start).
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/17/teslas-cobalt-usage-to-drop-from-3-today-to-0-elon-commits/

https://*********.com.au/tesla-warns-upcoming-global-shortages-battery-minerals/

All IMO, but might be best we debate battery technology in the share we hold than here. Ultimately the Prospectus here and Industry Expert reports for SH need to provide the underlying assumptions and outlook to what their projections are herein etc etc

All IMO

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WFE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.