what's behind the rise of Independent successes

1. 41,657 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    I became aware of the failings of duopoly politics during the Howard Constitutional (Republic) Convention in 98.

I'd previously voted Whitlam (my first vote), then Fraser, Hawke for a few terms then Libs under Howard, but voted against Howard in '96.

I haven't voted for either Lib or Lab since '04 when it was clear that Labs had no principles beyond trying to win elections - no different to the other side of the duopoly.

Since 2000 I've been back independents but often found none in my electorates who would be worth voting for..... mostly just ratbags like myself with no clear vision or reason for being elected other than to be elected

This time there's been a genuine effort to choose genuine independents who have clear principles and platforms for an agenda of reform. Global Warming is now causing significant changes in climatic conditions and extreme weather events. What we have now along the path of our weather steams from northwest WA to the eastern coastal regions from Gladstone to Port Augusta is the biggest wet that has flooded the inland desert regions as well as many coastal regions - repeatedly.

now some may argue that the changes in climatic conditions is sheer BS, but to my reading and thinking this is a rapidly deteriorating systems of patterns that is developing with increasing volatility and greater extremes..... as predicted by the Physics of climate and meteorology.

Secondly the Integrity Commission that was proposed by Morrison was clearly inadequate and way below par of what has been instituted in all the States. Clearly Morrison should have done better and this gave the impression that he clearly didn't want an Integrity Comm to be introduced at the federal level.

However it was plain that a large number of people thought that politicians shouldn't be immune from investigation and prosecution if the evidence warrants such.

Haines introduced a Bill for an effective model but the final vote on this Bill was disallowed by the Gov, leaving he impression that the LibNats fear the establishment of a real Integrity Comm. Clearly the push for such a commission is very strong and Morrison's failure to acknowledge the need left him looking like a crib who doesn't want his crime uncovered.

So this is the effect of Morrison's neglect. And we now have a doubling of the cross bench with a clear mandate to progress both real action on reducing emissions and hastening the transition to alternative methods of producing electricity and other forms of energy and storage, and the establishment of a federal integrity comm.

imo, only independent MPs can represent the community in PH and this is a landmark election that will see our culture change away from the duopoly toward real representation in Parliament and Government.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.