What's costing more, page-25

1. 47,419 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 649
    social housing is a state issue. Albanese can't wave anything more potent than his finger or some other personal appendage.

NSW and Vic, not sure about other states, are working to build social housing again after many years of virtually no social housing being built.

but social housing rent is linked to tenant earnings, so not much inflation there. its the private rental market that incurs the inflationary pressures and I can't say as I blame landlords; they have to keep earning or sell off. that would make rentals even more insecure.

the ACT is used as the singular example of attempting to control rental increases, and ACT allows 10% increase/yr.

as so many landlords now prefer an up-market short term rental management approach, again, I can't blame any for doing this, I would too if I could, its more important to encourage construction co.s to get busy building more homes/apartments for rent. they've put their plans out and got the states to agree to work with them. but it'll take time for such construction to complete.

the lower than expected growth in construction is still better than previous years as we can see from the trend (on a different thread)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.