whats happening in the farmland market?, page-8

1. 498 Posts.
    Hard to say what land prices are doing. It's tightly held in these parts and no sales for a while. But things are definately flat. I'd reckon prices topped out 3 or 4 years ago, and done nothing since. This would include small lifestyle blocks too, which may have even dropped a bit.

Although very recent sales would show prices have skyrocketed. Plenty of land been bought to be dug up for coal mines at 2 times, and up to 5 times agricultural value, so that would effect the official records.

In these parts, flat treeless black soil farming land with a 24 to 27 inch rainfall has sold for about $6,000 to $6,500 per hectare. Thats for country that will grow 5 t/h wheat and 8 t/h sorghum in a normal to good season dryland. Also some cotton starting to be grown. Mixed farms with a bit of ridge and poorer soil might bring $4,000 per hectare. Pure grazing say $2,000 per hectare.

Lifestyle blocks bring way more than land value of course depending on attractiveness and closeness to towns.

We've had a good 5 years or so here. Probably the best 5 year period I remember. Most were able to take advantage of the good prices for grain and the drought had little effect. Where I am, the wet years cause more havock than the dry years. Not too much debt problems.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.