what's in a name?, page-5

1. 12,085 Posts.
    Hi Diskoh Stoo

I'll join your Grumpy Old Men club. Is 47 ok for entry?

The reason parents give is that they want a 'unique' name for their child. If every child has a hybrid name them there is no longer anything unique because everyone is on the same fad.

I believe the parents are being selfish because they don't consider the longterm effects. The parents have to accept that them, and the child, will constantly be asked...'how do you spell that?'...'how do you pronounce that?' And that it's their problem and not the person asking.

I don't mind unique names that mean something in another language.
    I'm against hybrid names that create problems. Teachers have 3 different spellings for Chloe (correct), Khlowee and Klowie. And the poor last girl may get teased as Klowie the Blowie if heaven forbids she is chubby...the 'kids can be cruel' needs to be factored in with these 'unique' names.

One I read recently...Kiona...aunts were Karen and Fiona. One can only sigh and roll the eyes if this is the calibre of unique name origin.

On a funny note. I met a beautiful Golden Retriever yesterday name Arthur. I thought it was funny because normally animals are given unique names. Maybe the children are getting them because the animals have the traditional names...lol
    A bit like our foods have artificial flavours and insignificant percentages of an ingredient yet when it comes to shampoos or body products they promote it has real almonds and honey. Sorry for being off topic!

I wonder if statistics show spikes of deed pole changes as the children reach legal age.

Each to their own and no offence intended.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.