Whats it worth...

1. 42,375 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    the tax cuts changes are now fully exposed. I heard a couple of journos saying they don't know how much this would cost.

Chalmers says it's "revenue neutral". that does seem right although I'm aware they factor in the economic gains to come from such cash cost.

Chalmers also denies that this is political. I say they've done this to wedge the Libs as Chalmers says to make the argument to unwind the changes to the S2TC. they essentially are daring Dud to justify removing a tax cut to the middle Aus cohort in order to fund the tax cut to the wealthy.

the second thing Chalmers has done is answer Dud's demand that the Gov provide cost of living relief. so now they add to the already delivered col relief with a smallish yet still substantial increase in cash liquidity.

and the really clever thing is the wealthy will get the same $ value from the new structure that those on $130k do. not that the very well paid need it. they already haven't needed to slow their spending.

and lastly, they've cover used Morrison's longer span of 30% to remove bracket creep from most peoples minds.

its a clever play imo. designed with the election in mind. I think this will swing a lot of voters and if the Opposition make much of the broken promise they better not get too wild, as Taylor did today - such gross hyperbole - as they'll turn off a lot of people who are now going to benefit.

yes its all political. a cynical grab for a million more votes. I think it'll work.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.