PLS 0.25% $4.09 pilbara minerals limited

What’s PLS worth?As per my post on the daily SP chatter string,...

1. 3,373 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 902

What’s PLS worth?

As per my post on the daily SP chatter string, I’ve started a new string for valuation/analysis/critique. Hopefully this string can be more dedicated to fundamental analysis of PLS rather than wild speculation.

IMO there’s a lot I like PLS … it’s a true Tier 1 asset (large asset, projected to be at sharp end for cost), leveraged to growth of EV and I also like the relationship/options with Posco. However, being in commissioning/construction mode and producing a new mineral with volatile pricing – it’s at the high end of the risk spectrum and SP volitivity. So, what’s it worth today?

Market Analysts:

• ThompsonReuters consensus 12 month SP target is $1.02 across 7 analysts.
    • High$1.20 (unchanged since Aug18); Low $0.70.
    • 5 of the 7 analysts have downgraded the SP target since start Apr19

Bringing those 12 month targets back to SP as of today, the analysts have an averagevalue of ~90c.

I prefer to try to understand the range of values based on key risks. IMO the biggest of these are:

• SP6 price received
    • SP6 yield (driving both costs/dmt and production tonnes)
    • Time frame for existing/new production to achieve design performance

Potential CAPEX blowouts and other OPEX are minor risks IMO (ie. I think these can be well managed by KB and his team). On the upside, Posco JV and Stage 3 could add value, but as I said on the other string, there are too few details to estimate value IMO. If others have methods of valuing these (as opposed to just speculating what they’re worth) – perhaps they can add them to the string.

I’ve therefore created a matrix of values based on:

• Operating cost basis uses latest Stage 3 advice (US$290/t at 75% yield). This is much higher than the Stage 1 LOM figure (US$207/t) but PLS have since adjusted down the yield and possibly other components. Therefore, US$290 may be a tad conservative (but Stage 1 Feas too bullish).
    • CashOPEX components affected by yield have been scaled (ie. mining &processing) those unaffected left as per Stage 3 advice (eg. Royalties, nativetitle)
    • Simple 10x Net Operating Cash Flow valuation model at time of performance metric.
    • Future performance discounted back to Jun19 at 12%pa.

Results below. I’ve included the Stage 1 only numbers to illustrate the importance of getting to design yield (15-20c worth in SP terms). Seems to me the analysts (on average) are projecting either much lower SP6 prices than PLS is currently achieving and/or a lack of confidence in PLS achieving design yield.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1593/1593423-fc2d73214d6013ff2e0bc233332eee58.jpg

As a reference point, PLS based their Stage 1 Feasibility Study on a long term SP6 price of onlyUS$537/t.

Have others done similar price/yield/value analysis? Thoughts?

Last edited by SimonGr: 13/06/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$4.09
Change
0.010(0.25%)
Mkt cap ! $12.27B
Open High Low Value Volume
$4.08 $4.15 $4.07 $13.79M 3.360M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
24 94618 $4.08

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$4.09 24044 10
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.34am 14/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$4.07
  Change
0.010 ( 0.06 %)
Open High Low Volume
$4.09 $4.15 $4.05 914151
Last updated 10.52am 14/05/2024 ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.