what's so great about marriage?

1. 1,584 Posts.
    Folks,

I've been watching bemused, the Greens' gay marriage push in Federal Parliament.

I have the impression that gays either do not know what marriage really entails (despite the evidence presented to them by their parents' marriage) or that they only want it because the word "marriage" signals equality and social acceptance.

The popular view of marriage as being highly desirable has mystified me for a long time.

I've some views on the subject which are based largely upon personal experience & observation.

(1) The concept of romantic love is largely a myth. A haze of lust occasioned by oxytocin and serotonin released in the brain is mistaken for romantic love, but this state lasts for a few months after the honeymoon.

(2) For the majority of people the REALITY of marriage (as opposed to the IDEAL) is contractual, whereby the female provides housekeeping, sex and the care of the children in return for financial security.

(3) Marriage makes great economic sense but generally after the first decade and a few children, a husband who makes passionate to his wife is the exception, not the norm.

(4) Couples who persist with the notion of romantic love find themselves silently lusting after 'the perfect stranger' who will fulfil all the desires that their (now) preoccupied partner does not fulfil.

(5) The social institution of marriage is constructed primarily for the purpose of rearing children in a stable environment whereby they may be educated to be useful to society; to provide THEIR parents with grandchildren and society with workers.

While hetero couples increasingly are resisting marriage, gays seem to be enthusiastically demanding it.

Let them have it.

As the ancient Greeks advised, "Beware for what you wish, for you may get it."

(Sir) Lunchalot
    Scoffer Extraordinaire

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.