Interesting topic to me anyway BlackLubricant.... Moly-steel...

1. 5,867 Posts.
    Interesting topic to me anyway BlackLubricant....
    Moly-steel industry, not much in this country.Major production from American copper producers as a bi-product. Can be occassionally used as a nickel substitute. See Twiglets Hibernia ,whose deposit is still way sub economic ,even at today's historically high prices.
    Tungsten/wolframite-steel industry, often found inconjunction with moly (eg Molyhil, see TNG), someone picked the King Island scheelite deposit late last year-shame most of the remaining resource is underneath Bass Strait ( better not be open cut!), most of the better ground around the old mines in QLD has been picked over the past few months-one or two IPOs coming up. Chinese still dominate world production but their stockpile is starting to shrink quite quickly.
    Manganese-steel industry, dominated by BHP production from Groote Island in NT. Most other recognised deposits very low grade, small tonnages.
    Alumina-is sexy but very much one for the big end of town. You want to peg some quality deposits-just north west of Perth. Shame it is in a deemed water catchment (Darling Ranges)!
    Tin-??? price is gyrating very heavily at the moment.
    Was fashionable before Christmas but has come off the boil since then. Bluestone is the dominant player with production from Renison Belle in Tassie and Collingwood in QLD under development.
    Rare earths- not really, the Chinese have 200 years of global demand sitting in the resource category, but the Chinese do funny things. Current players include ARU and Lynas.

Sort of fascinating watching the market bounce from one favourite to the next. Few punters the long lead time in getting a mine up and running and the costs involved. Hence all these comments about gold/copper equivalents ,or in ground value. What a load of codswallop.
    Cheers,TAS

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.