what's the next 'sexy' metal, page-6

1. 741 Posts.
    BOil,
    in one word, titanium. Wonderful stuff. Used in Seiko watch cases and bands (the expensive ones) and the leading edges of aerofoils that have to withstand several thousand degrees of heating without losing strength. Beats magnesium hands down, which quite a number of investors in Mg would probably agree with, if the lightness of their pockets tell them anything. Is already known to folks who whiten up their tennis shoes with titanium dioxide polish, or paint their houses with whiter than white compounds. So why is it not everywhere and killing the opposition. Because it is bluddy expensive to produce from the basic ore. But if you check the web you will find that a university in the UK has a breakthrough process (at least that what the journal says) which has been licensed to a startup company. Name?? One forgets. Yet it does seem that if the process works, then titanium metal will be cheaper to produce than aluminium.
    The basic material is mostly mined from beach sands (fossil or otherwise) as I understand it.
    Therewith the soothsaying. Given the way of the world, I would look on titanium as a long term investment, though in my opinion a very sure one.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.