Slightly off topic: My niece Sophie was born with cerebral...

1. 4,895 Posts.
    Slightly off topic:

My niece Sophie was born with cerebral palsy, is totally dependant on others for her care.

She has absolutely no muscle tone, is unable to eat or drink, and has to be fed through a tube inserted through her abdominal wall.

She can't communicate, but smiles and seems to be happy, if happy is the right word.

She's 13 y/o now, and wasn't expected to live this long.

Because it was a medical negligence case, she received a multi-million dollar payout, which is held in trust.

A house had to be built with all of the mod cons like large doorways, ceiling hoists on tracks leading to the bathroom and bedroom, ramps everywhere etc.

All of this stuff costs a fortune.

A customised Mercedes van with hoists and an electrically operated ramp cost $120k.

A manual (not motorised) wheelchair which can lay flat, and provides full body support, cost $12k.

Two nurses pick her up in the morning and take her to day care/school, and drop her off again in the afternoon.

She's always in and out of hospital, and how her mum copes with two other young kids, plus studying social work is beyond my comprehension.

It's hard to say, but sometimes I think it would have been better if she didn't survive birth, imo..

dino

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.