taught,Of course I've undergone an operation and climbed a...

1. 426 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 49
    taught,

Of course I've undergone an operation and climbed a ladder and boarded a plane and gone for a drive hoping that the others road users aren't idiots.

The doctor and the pilot have qualifications and a track record of success. I make an educated assessment that they are likely to come through on their assurances.

By way of disclosure: I was raised Xtian, did all the usual things, Church, Sunday School, confirmation lessons, etc etc. In my late 20's started having difficulties with faith. so I talked to people, went to evangelist type rallies, prayed for the holy spirit to enter my heart. And I meant it, I wanted to reconnect with faith.

So i decided to do what most Xtians claim to do, but actually don't. I read the Bible. Cover to cover, slowly, carefully and reading each passage. As a result, I began to seriously doubt the Bible described real events. It wasn't true.. But then people told me that the Bible is the basis for modern morality and that is valuable. So I read it again from the viewpoint of looking for morality. Holy crap on a cracker !!

That was the point when I said to myself that I can't get my morality from this book because I (and you) are morally superior to the God described in the OT.

There's no hypocrisy here. I went into the process wanting to be a believer and I came out an atheist. When I went looking for the entity and found he wasn't there, I stopped believing. Becoming an atheist is a process. It takes time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.