Yeah, I voted Labor. Have always done so at the federal level,...

1. 428 Posts.
    Yeah, I voted Labor. Have always done so at the federal level, or a least exhausted my preferences to them (NSW Labor at the moment, very different story). Atlhough the insulation scheme was a farce and they didn't have the courage of their convictions on climate change, their handling of of the economy was exemplary. They just made a mess of selling it.

Inflation: within the 2-3% range Labor orginally established as the target back in the eighties.

Unemployment: 5.1% or about what many economists consider to be full employment. Also about half that of the rest of the developed world. Recall that mining had some of the highest rates during the GFC, so that doesn't explain it.

Debt: a tiny fraction of that of the rest of the world. Without the stimulus package, there would have been another 200,000 (2%) no longer paying tax and also receiving welfare. Do the maths.
    Because the vast majority of government debt during a downturn is attributable to a reduction in tax revenue through higher unemployment and reduced company tax, Ausralia will be out of debt that much faster, than it would be in the absence of the simulus package.
    By the way, and contrary to shock jock media, the schools program according to the independent report found over 97% of schools were happy and 95% of the money was spent efficiently. The scheme had tens of thousands of projects. We hear about the 5% but not the 95%. It's the nature of news. It also redressed at least some of funding cuts of the previous government. When money needs to be spent fast, and it did, there will always be some premium.
    The coalition said they would have spent only 20b less than labour yet cite the larger debt figure which includes a reduction in tax revenue. Oh yes,there were also tax cuts 3 years in a row. Hardly the stuff of the red peril, as some claim. Makes as much sense as those who describe the coalition as fascist. Both comparisons are just plain dopey.

Peter

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.