GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

Ha. Well, I'll play.Two of my wish-I-had-that-Time-Machine do...

1. 1,004 Posts.
    Ha. Well, I'll play.

Two of my wish-I-had-that-Time-Machine do overs:

Late last year, in SLR @ .185, stopped out at .16 . Didn't buy back in while awaiting retrace. Today: .815

DIO - in @ .305, took profits @ .39 . Didn't buy back in while awaiting retrace. Today .735

In hindsight, my original instincts were good and I exited both trades way too early. But I stuck to my trading plan for each trade, and I trust that more than I do instincts (which get terribly close to 'hope' sometimes). I do sometimes get stopped out earlier than I should, but having firm exit strategies has also saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Likewise, I often take profits on a leg up and miss out on some of the rise (or most of it, in the case of DIO), but am playing safe. I may not have made as many returns here as some in '09, but I also didn't take the caning many did in '08.

Mind you, I have some core stuff that I just won't trade out of (in MCO at an average now of .13 and not going anywhere).

So in response to the earlier posts in this thread - it's perfectly normal to feel good (and share the joy) when you nail a trade. But everyone screws up sometime. Having good management strategies that you follow head over heart though is nice, if not foolproof.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.