Hi Boss, I'm currently in the "resources are at a an all time...

1. 1,220 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 258
    Hi Boss,

I'm currently in the "resources are at a an all time low" camp and demand is sky-rocketing for certain commodities. Technology could undermine some (Lithium for instance if an alternative battery technology emerges) and reality could slow down others (copper if electric cars take a decade longer to conquer the world for instance) etc. But given the cost of extraction and current MC of some speccies, there are surely 10 baggers around.

The general market can swing wildly but if you have the commodity they want, they pay.

For instance, silica is now getting exciting for me. Various Asian countries are wanting to import vast amounts of this and various others are closing their export markets. From brickies sand at $30/tonne to silicon chip grade at $5000/tonne a company with a nice big sand dune and a market cap of $15m can reasonably be expected to 10 bag once they get over hurdles of starting a mine (VXR).

A nimble play is the Cangai copper mine (CCZ) which looks like a major forgotten resource ($billions in ground) that can be up and running very quickly with minimal costs. Might not 10 bag, but I'm hopefull it will.

Then some of the suggestions above look very promising. A couple, I have to say, I'm not so keen on (sorry folks) as I don't get the product and possibilities and I don't have the motivation to educate myself about them. That may cost me in missed opportunities but I'm happy with what I do have a basic understanding of.

I don't follow the US stock market closely so I am not best placed to comment. However, I will! Obviously, they have had an extremely strong run over the past year and so a correction means that, mostly people have less profit than before rather than actually losing money. If my assumption that the exuberance leads to overpricing, then a correction won't be a bad thing.

Speculative stocks are different - we buy them in the hope of a material change - there is gold in them thar hills etc! - before the change happens or before it is fairly priced. When this does happen, there are large pots of money to be made selling our stock to those that like a company with far more certainty. We pick dogs, we pick non-performers, but if we are successful in picking a few spectacular hits, the dogs are forgotten. This is largely how oil companies work - few remember the many dry or uneconomic holes but the rainmakers are talked of for years.

Cheers and good luck with your strategy. I hope it works for you.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.