Where is the Ebola Tipping Point?, page-10

1. Osi
    16,115 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 201
    With the CDC now admitting that Ebola is out of control the "it doesn't affect me" mindset predominates in countries like Australia. Consequently not enough is being done by the developed world to stem the problem.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/02/ebola-outbreak-out-control-says-cdc-director/

So what is meant by the term "out of control"? To me it means that there are no really effective strategies in place to prevent the spread of the virus through the slums of West Africa and Central Africa. Where quarantine measures have been put in place they will in due course be demonstrated to be ineffective (it's easy to walk around a few roadblocks) or be a cause of civil insurrection (the goose brains in charge have forgotten to even feed people in quarantine zones for starters.)

As I posted weeks ago the cause of outbreak severity is in the mathematics of 1) the virus' mutation towards increased survivability 2) the incubation period (average 8 days now but up to 21 days) 3) the high infection potential of the underlying (though now mutated) Zaire strain and 4) mismanagement of the situation.

I'm not a medico but you don't need to be a medico to understand the transmissibility maths. I would be happy to hear the opinion of any posters with medical or scientific qualifications on this but all I see is the maths.

The virus has not (currently) sufficiently contagious to spread widely in regions with higher standards of hygiene HOWEVER a  majority of the worlds people live in poor and unsanitary conditions AND it won't take a lot of sporadic infections to close down travel and commerce in many areas.
    Last edited by Osi: 03/09/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.