Where is the Ebola Tipping Point?, page-15

1. Osi
    16,112 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 201
    From SOS International

" Liberia: WHO cautions that the outbreak is increasing exponentially, and that "motorbike-taxis and regular taxis are a hot source of potential Ebola virus transmission, as these vehicles are not disinfected at all". The current assessment is that "conventional Ebola control interventions are not having an adequate impact in Liberia". Conventional interventions are public health actions of isolation, quarantine, contact tracing, hygiene and infection control. One thousand beds are "urgently needed" to treat patients in Monsterrado county alone - there are currently less than 25% of that number available. JFK hospital in Monrovia is "plagued by electrical fires and floods" "

I still can't identify any useful breaking mechanism for this outbreak in West Africa or Central Africa. Talking heads (including doctors) find it hard to move away from an inappropriate influenza model as a basis for determining what may happen next.

As per the SOS advice above there are a lot of anecdotes of sick people walking. This observation radically changes the maths when considered along with an assumption of zero population resistance to this virus strain and an average incubation period of 8 days.

Hypothetically , if I had a trillion dollars to spend on this I could probably do a lot of good work in the towns but funding along won't get rid of this. It's almost like we would have to pay a hundred million people to stay at home and also have the capacity to deliver food and clean water to them. But I've been to some of these countries and you can't realistically implement such measures in towns let alone the bush.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.