while you were yapping i was digging, page-13

1. 4,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    poyndexter, I read your post a couple of times and decided not to reply because you would think I was having a go at you. But then I decided to take the risk.
    I'm glad that you said that you made an annual CO2 REDUCTION instead of annual CO2 SAVING, because by stopping a previous waste, I don't believe we are entitled to claim we are actually saving, so your describing it as a reduction is correct.
    However I assume that someone else will be driving your previous vehicle, so in the bigger picture has any reduction or saving being made at all. It all becomes complicated if we start to think that if the new owner of your car travels more km than you do in your new car, whilst selling it has made it better for you, it has not neccessarily been better for the environment. But then, the saving to the environment made by the new owner in buying a secondhand vehicle instead of buying a newer more fuel efficient one that had created it's own carbon footprint, probably offsets any increased operating inefficiencies.
    It all gets a bit complicated. I don't know what I should do for my next car, buy a new fuel efficient one, or a secondhand less efficient one. Which is best for the environment when everything has been taken into account?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.