White supremacists warned by Home Affairs boss., page-31

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Hi Logco! Christianity as I understand and practice is not about condemning or excluding non Christians.

The article imo endeavours to make hay of religious institutionalism and paints an overly rosy picture.

IMO what has made Australia great is our non religious secular system of democratic government.

Those that used their religion responsibly have contributed to this country but unfortunately some also have fallen down badly in many instances. The Church and in particular the Catholic Church has been very privileged in this country and you only have to look at its property portfolio which is massive making it the second most largest private property owner by value in the nation.

The Catholic Church has been losing membership in droves over the years and that tells us that it cannot be performing too well. Due to its privileged position it was able to exert enormous power and unfortunately that meant that the institutions bad eggs were able to inflict massive harm to many with impunity. The Royal Commission into child abuse has finally highlighted the horror but you can imagine that the real extent of the abuse would have in the longer past been even far greater, going back possibly generations when basically no-one could question the Church.

The Christianity that I am a part of and want to belong to, is not about operating as an exclusive club where others are not welcome or are to be victimised because they do not share my religious institutions beliefs. Thats why we need democracy and secular law that can distance itself from religious dogma generally and give equality under the law to all people regardless their religion and to those who also hold no religious beliefs.

I value democracy and the rule of law more than institutional religion. The former encompasses and empowers all people as equals unlike the religious institutions.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.