who can we trust, page-8

1. 47,694 Posts.
    Lapdog,
    Your posts are generally enjoyable to read and I agree with your sentiments in your post.
    I think our whole system of government needs to be looked at.

Rather than tinkering, there should be a look at;

1. A directly elected Australian head of state. Should we continue to rely on a monarch on the other side of the world to approve our Governor General? Why?
    2. What powers they should have ie only ceremonial with reserve powers or a USA style president with full powers and their own cabinet, but law to be passed by a parliament also elected by the people.
    3. Voluntary voting. A true democracy doesn't force people to vote.
    4. Electronic voting via Medicare or Australia card ID. Time to centralise all our details onto a biometric card to eliminate ID fraud.
    5. Citizen initiated referendum, or a Citizen recall election option if the government of the day loses the faith of the people. Not sure what mechanism would be used to initiate this.
    6. A look at the terms of the Fed government. 3 yrs for a bad government is too long, 3 yrs for a good one is too short. This would need to be examined with the Senate elections as well. I would opt for 4 yrs lower house, 4 yrs full senate as well. If the govt gets out of hand there is the recall option.
    7. Federal / State relations. Are the powers of the respective governments in the current constitution reflective of todays reality and needs? Do we need States? Or could we have a local government and a federal government. Or are states still needed. Why are we so over-governed? Too many different legal structures, employment laws and stamp duty, licensing and trade laws between different states. Time for us to harmonise this I think.
    8. Genuine taxation reform. An honest look at the country's needs, and how to fund them. Elimination of duplication between states and the feds. Government to focus on core items as mandated by law and keep out of everything else.
    9. A brand new constitution, cut the apron strings from the UK once and for all. Recognition of the Aboriginal peoples as the original occupants of the land. But equal status for ALL citizens under Australian law.
    10. Restoration of individual freedoms, right of free expression, property rights etc. which have been curtailed by respective governments in Australia over many years.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.