who cares about king island?

1. 47,086 Posts.
    King Island residents are at the beginning of a consultation process over Hydro Tasmania's proposal to place around 200 wind turbines on the Bass strait Island. While Hydro Tasmania wish to construct the largest wind farm in Australia, there is a long journey ahead for the government owned business, and for islanders of the place they affectionately call 'the rock'.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2012/12/06/3648844.htm

Does this strike others as being more'n a little bit weird? Tasmania is untouchable, according to the greens, but King Is is out of sight so 'tis OK to destroy it. If this was some "black" project [a teensy weensy mine?] it would be tied up in green tape forever. Whoever planned the project would have to prove beyond any possible doubt that no mutton bird would be harmed, no dairy cow would have it's peaceful life disturbed and the farmers guaranteed compensation for every still-born calf.

There is nothing in this for the locals, a few jobs during construction and a dozen or so later. If they can't sleep they will be told to "Harden up, Princess".

Long submarine cables are expensive to lay and operate, and not only because you need AC/DC conversion at each end.

I have a King Islander as a house guest who believes in green energy, but she is now saying NIMBY! Being the host, I said little, just suggested she do more reading.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.