'' but only with independent MPs will this really be achieved.''...

1. 84,235 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    '' but only with independent MPs will this really be achieved.''

I'll keep this separate because I understand that you didn't like it when I said to you -

how is it possible if you got all representatives who were independents?

how could a government form? how could an opposition form?

and if that's not bad enough - how would a Prime Minister be chosen?

now - I think you may do well to look right now to France - what is happening

well, what the end result is atm is that France cannot choose a Prime Minister

and that's not even with a large number of independents - that's with a rough coalition of left leaning parties, a far right party, a right leaning Macron party, a few extreme small parties and the odd independent

with all of that - they can't find a Prime Minister to put up for the President to accept. Or the President isn't game to make a permanent choice because he'll have a timebomb on his hands.

I understand your desire for independents - and I think in some situations - it is and atm very useful, there are some wonderful members and IMO - 'mostly' the independents are of a higher quality than others

BUT - it's just not a workable answer for a replacement for party politics -

NOT under the election system.

In a different system, sortition possibly - yes, I can see it working - but, if there were a 'leader' as such --------- it would probably be some kind of mainly or all - non political office -

perhaps given a deciding vote if the rest of the government was 50/50 on a law being passed - then, the 'whatever we want to call them' - would have a decision making vote

but, as the system we have atm ------- I don't think that having a very large - majority number of independents could work

even take - say independents had 80% of the seats - and a party had 20% of the seats

that would mean that the 20% mob would have to get agreement from 31% of independents to support them -

a government could be formed - but, what one would have then, is a party who is really a small amount of people - would form the government -

that doesn't sound right

And if independents were very high - say 95% of the parliament - then, how could they possibly form government?

well, they would have to come together as a group to support each other - and as soon as they do that ----------- is that not a 'party' - be it informal or not?

Take a look at France atm - extrapolate it to if it were large numbers of independents --------------- depending on one's way of description - it's either 'very complicated' or 'a bloody nightmare'

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.