Kerbey, if ever you were to find yourself in such a position of...

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    Kerbey, if ever you were to find yourself in such a position of difficulty, I suspect the feelings of powerlessness would astonish you. No one is suggesting it is OK for the sort of abuse of taxpayer funds that occurred in some aboriginal communities, but what you don't seem to understand is the loss of dignity you apply to anyone when you effectively say to them "we don't think you're capable of sensibly allocating your benefit, even if you've proven over and over again that you have done this".

Many people have temporary periods of being out of work, being sick, etc which require them to reluctantly seek support.
    I just don't know why anyone would want to add to their sense of fear about the future by conveying to them the message that they have suddenly become financially incompetent to properly form a budget. Indeed the meagre amount of benefits would leave very little for discretionary spending.

And fyi, I'm no bleeding heart leftie, just someone who has spent a fair bit of time amongst people who are temporarily and permanently socially disadvantaged, and as a result felt profoundly grateful for my own much more comfortable situation.
    I'm centre right in philosophy and mainly support the Liberal Party on the basis of its premise that people should always take responsibility for themselves wherever possible. This includes the presumption that - unless demonstrated to the contrary - people will usually use taxpayer funds conscientiously and sensibly.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.