"CEO’s are often remunerated on luck of the sector they are in,...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7961
    "CEO’s are often remunerated on luck of the sector they are in, this isn’t a skill"

My lived experience is different; I can identify literally hundred of businesses where management skill has led to superior outcomes for shareholders, and vice versa.

By the way, you didn't address this from my previous post:

Again, CEO productivity and the remuneration in relation to that productivity, perceived or otherwise, is for the account of the holders of the equity the business.

Take the trivial case of a successful sole proprietor who pays himself a huge salary. Presumably you don’t begrudge him that wealth, given he would have earned it through aptitude and hard work.

Next take an astute entrepreneur who goes into business with his mate, but he is the brains trust and brings in all the business while the mate performs mere back-office roles. Presumably if his mate says he can have a big fat juicy salary that is multiples of theirs, then that is perfectly in order too.

What if we are talking about a small, private business with four or five partners and they appoint a CEO who they think is excellent and so they pay him a million dollars a year?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.