It is a very good question by bacci - "who will pay the...

1. 7,629 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    It is a very good question by bacci - "who will pay the generators"
    and the answer is probably the Feds in the first instance - who else would be putting their hand up?? Then Albo will slide off what he can each year or part of a year to electricity consumers.

To get an idea of the $'s involved - here are AEMO annual average wholesale elec prices for 2021 - my guess for the wholesale price component of current retail power bills.
    --------------------------NSW------SA------Qld-----Vic------Tas
    AEMO ann av 2021 $64.81 $44.83 $61.81 $45.93 $43.69

Now lets assume the states average generation price is $275 per MW/Hr
    That makes NSW percentage increase 424%. You can use your calculators -
    We are always told that only a component of the wholesale price goes into the retail bills -
    It gives an idea of the task Albo has to cope with this probably greatest ever wholesale price jump.
    He will try and smear it out over multiple years hoping the price retreats.
    I think the gas price could reduce again because there is no shortage of world gas if politicians will get out of the way.
    But coal is underpinned by China demand - they burn 4Billion tons a year - and many China coal mines have reached depths where they are up against engineering limits even to maintain production levels year after year after year. So I think Oz thermal coal exporters will be coining it for years n years.
    Last edited by Welkin31: 17/06/22

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.