Hi acorn,I think good public schools are important, sending your...

1. 888 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    Hi acorn,

I think good public schools are important, sending your kids to private schools is something that is simply not affordable to most 'workers' now days.

That being said, a school is only as good as what a student
    makes of it, its just like a tool, if you dont have the want
    to make the effort, I believe it doesnt matter what school you go to.

FHS is a selective school, if you reside in an area around
    the school within a set boundary, your in, if you live outside this boundary then you have to apply, and get selected, many students travel from surrounding suburbs to attend.

FHS does have a very good reputation, and it does deserve this reputation, it ranks quite well academically and does offer a well rounded education IMO, but some of this has to do with the selective nature of its student base.

If you are looking at the area , then it is best to get a school zone map from the school, the zone is not like a set radius, some streets a km from the school are not in the zone, some streets much further away are in the zone, and the zone is from time to time re adjusted I understand.
    And dont listen to what RE agents tell you, I have seen many properties advertised as being in the zone, when I KNOW they are not, and have seen even "school zone" mentioned, it might be in a school zone, but not in the FHS zone.

I cant comment on the other local public schools or Monash Uni, but I have noticed a number of what recently where boarding type accomodation coming onto the market around Monash Uni, there must have been some kind of crackdown on these 7-9 bedroom houses, so maybe something has changed regarding laws or regulations, or demand from overseas students.

There are some very good primary schools in this area, if you come across one that has humour as one of its core values your on a winner.

cheers grant

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.