SVG 0.00% 2.2¢ savannah goldfields limited

Who's listening?, page-94

1. 1,224 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 416
    Yes KTM1, Paul, 79bdr and Towie I agree bikes are fun.
    I remember when six like-minded mates circa 1984 all bought Honda 250cc trail bikes and shipped them to Cairns.
    We decided a fast trip from Cairns to the tip of Australia, about 1650km, could be good. To avoid suspension damage we roughed it and rode light with a backpack only. Nothing on the back rack. We reckoned we could do it in about 7 days and we did it in less. We flew... a few spills but we all survived. Albeit all with sore coccyx tail bones. Although one rider had to pull out early in the trip at Cooktown from an aggravated hernia.

Started in Cairns then to Port Douglas. We rode 100m across a shallower part of the boulder/rocky Daintree River, against the current, one at a time and as fast as we could to avoid the crocs and hoped we wouldn't conk out in the deeper parts. That was the end of the 4WD road so then took tracks through the Daintree rainforest to Bloomfield, then to Cooktown, then rode through the beautiful National Parks to Lakefield. Then to Coen, Archer River, and then through Hells Gate up the old telegraph track through Wenlock (pop of 3 people) and on to Bamaga on the tip of mainland Oz. After the Weipa turnoff, at times in these dryer areas we had to avoid brumbies and rode two to three miles apart, because of the massive clouds of billowing bulldust.

Just south of Bamaga we had to cross the Jardine River. It was about 70m wide, waist to chest-deep and flowing pretty well. We floated each bike on two truck inner tubes, wading alongside to guide the tubes across. We would do one bike at a time with four riders to guide, wading back and forth across the river. Then one more trip to return the inner-tubes for the next person who came along. We weren't aware at the time, but the friendly police and nurses at Bamaga said a big croc took someone two days before at the crossing and stuck him up under a bank for later. We were lucky. I suspect there would be more crocs nowadays.

Lost count but estimate we crossed 100 to 150 creeks and rivers. Shipped the bikes back from Bamaga. Great trip... recommend it.

Last edited by Rhazzle: 26/09/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SVG (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.