XJO 0.92% 7,810.9 s&p/asx 200

My first ever cranker and as it turns out my first thread start...

1. 4,710 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    My first ever cranker and as it turns out my first thread start ever also (I wasn't sure how to do it).

It's no secret that my Dad is very ill. BD and Costa speak fondly of their dads and Costas recent post about his father in law had triggered a few flashbacks for me about my dad when I was a kid. So this cranker is a very small insight as to why my Dad is and always will be my hero.

My first Job was as a lad delivering papers for the local Newsagent. I lived in a wealthy neighborhood, the Fox and Myers family both received their afternoon paper thanks to yours truly :) I had two bosses, one was great, the other was as fake as they came. The type that would smile and chat to your parents with some pleasantry such as "he's a charming boy, pleasure to have around" then announce "why are you still standing there you little shit" as soon as the grown ups were out of ear shot. All the kids that worked there all wished we were bigger so we could put him in his place, but that was never to be until . . .

The pay was ok delivering papers but nothing special. The real kicker though were the Christmas tips. Especially with the client list I delivered to. The tips list was normally handed to you in a box with your name on and full of envelopes containing money. And you just knew that at least ten of those envelopes had a ten or twenty in them. It was a huge deal for a kid of 11 or 12. This year would be a little different for me though as the family had a holiday planned and we were leaving a bit before Christmas. This was all arranged with the Newsagent and I thought was all fine. Anyway the last day came, I finished my round and ready to head off for holidays the next day so I went to get my wage and that great big box full of cash with my name on it. Now I should point out that this money was to be my spending money for our holiday and also to buy the family Christmas presents, my boss knew this. So in I strut, good boss is no where around so bald bad boss I see to ask for my money. Nope you get paid at the end of the week, you know that! - wha? But the box is right there? I can't remember what else was said but none of it was good. Struggling to hold back the tears I headed off home with empty pockets.

When I arrived home Mum and Dad were both in the kitchen. Mum cooking the food and Dad eating it. I told them what had happened then burst into tears. Before I knew it I was in the car with Dad headed off to see my boss. Now I should point out that dad is not a small man. In his lean days he would have come in around 120 kilo, old school tatts and hands that would quite easily circle around a teenage boys throat while he lifted you off the ground by the neck. I grew up with three older attractive sisters and every boy in the area knew exactly who my Dad was. While he was an intimidating sight, the family only knew him as the guy you would climb all over then run for fear of being tickled to death.

So I'm on my way to see the devil with a small giant by my side. We get to the newsagent and Dad tells me to take him to his boss. We walk to the desk at the back of the newsagent, Dad right behind me. To this day I will never forget the fear on this mans face as he looked at me, then his gaze went straight up to the source of the shadow behind me. He looked back to me and without Dad even saying a word my Boss came out with "so you're here for your money, right I'll just get that for you". I still remember noticing his hand shake as he handed it over. He wished us a happy holiday and merry Christmas. In the entire exchange my Dad never said a word.

As we left Dad said he wouldn't give me any more trouble again, he was right, he never did.

That's one reason why my Dad is my hero.

Safe trading.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.