Australia lost the test because they are deceptively vulnerable...

1. 2,352 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    Australia lost the test because they are deceptively vulnerable in that format (despite their overall good results in all forms). Excluding Warner, because the grub has finally exited (and was out of form anyway):

Khawaja is good for 40.
    Labuschagne is in a lot of trouble, he has been batting very poorly for a very long time. Still gets the odd 50 but basically looks like he is still trying to get his eye in even when he makes it there. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets benched sometime in 2024 for a period until he can get his shit together.
    Smith: Moving him to opener was by far the best move the team has made in a long time, not least because he's the first Australian to carry his bat in over a decade in just his 2nd test there, nor that he has averaged 60 as opener this calendar year. Smith I think was on the verge of retirement, at least from the long game, before the opportunity to open arose. He hasn't been in the right headspace and I think has felt rudderless coming in at 4, his body language and commentary has all been pointing to a high quality player with no direction and a lack of motivation. Even prior to his big innings the other day I was stoked that he was opening. Giving him such a hard task to construct a solution to has extended his shelflife, because I'm pretty sure he was close to pulling the pin.

Green has just returned, but the expectations on him have been way too high. He's not a batsman he's an allrounder, I'm not sure what he's doing batting at 4, if he averages more than 30 (and still gets wickets) we should be grateful.

The middle order have collectively been strong, but extraordinarily patchy. Head and Marsh can hit a century in one session, but can also both get out in the same over. Carey has been solid, chipping in (mostly) when needed and he is very good behind the stumps. The bottom order (Starc --> Hazlewood) are a jekyll and hyde lot. Sometimes they add 200 for the last 4 wickets, sometimes 20.

This team has no chance of putting together 16 in a row etc, because with the exception of our opening isotope, Usman-40, nobody is playing with any consistency. This is the team that went as close as humanly possible to losing the Ashes 5-0 but still register victory. It was only a matter of time before one of these minnows jagged a win on the incredible bowlers' paradises that were served up here over the summer, a sneaky win was on the cards somewhere or other.

So, nothing to do with worrying about politics I'm afraid. But I do agree that Australian sportspeople should keep their mouth shut when asked stupid questions about economic policy or social agendas. They are role models, not political advisers, and they should know their place.
    Last edited by Treefern: 01/02/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.