That's not right. Previous captains have followed the basic...

1. 2,367 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 326
    That's not right. Previous captains have followed the basic tenet that an Australian cricket Captain's best mouth position is shut, and while they could all be considered non-pastel and stoic, nobody would call them cardboard cutouts and they have all been heavy-duty role models for decades.

Again, you are entirely underestimating the weight that words from this position carries. If you got up on your upturned crate, either on here behind an anonymous moniker or in person under your real name, and stated that China should stay in China and not 'meddle' in the affairs of other nations by offering them support financial or otherwise, not look to expand friendships beyond their own boundless country, and basically know their place, no one would give a shit. Nobody would care, Reaper. Nobody would care if I did it either.

If Pat Cummins said it, I promise you it would become a fullblown diplomatic incident. Nothing short of instant and excessive retribution on the part of Cricket Australia and the Australian Government would avoid the Chinese Ambassador to Australia being recalled, and (at least) a temporary severing of diplomatic ties with Australia. Is the Australian Government supposed to tell China (or whichever country Pat offended) that "Pat is just a single Aussie, I don't know why you are so worried. Your offense is not our problem"? Do you think they would swallow that?

When Pat Cummins speaks as the Australian Cricket Captain:

1) he represents himself.
    2) he represents ALL members of the Australian First XI.
    3) he represents Cricket Australia.
    4) he represents our country (to other countries).
    5) he even represents you and me, to a lesser degree.

There is no political statement that an indvidual holding that position can make that is correct, because by definition he is speaking for others. In a similar way, Corporations are not entitled to make political statements. It wouldn't matter if every member of the Australian Cricket Team felt the way he did either, because he also represents Cricket Australia, and I know for a fact that not all members of that organisation feel the same way as Pat.

As an individual who does not lead the Australian 1st XI, Pat can say whatever he likes. As the Australian Cricket Captain, he cannot. I would bet money that Pat was spoken to about his comments, and I would also bet money that the only reason he didn't make a subsequent statement withdrawing his opinion and basically telling you what I'm telling you is because nobody made a big deal about it. But that's a fluke, Reaper. Shear fluke.

Take the issue around our opener the Walking Isotope (Usman-40). He created a lot of issues when he had on his sneakers 'freedom is a right' or whatever. He was forced not to wear them, and that's just a throwaway generic line that everyone agrees with. And that's just from a member of the team. Suggesting that Australia should change its national day of self-recognition is a much, much bigger deal, and Pat dodged a really big bullet.

I'll bet you a night of beers that next time he is asked a political question, that Pat will agree with me by declining to answer it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.