Well I agree with what you say about the end of WW2 but have to...

1. 59,966 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    Well I agree with what you say about the end of WW2 but have to point out that baby boomers started to be born after WW2 so all the rationing ect had long ended my the time they were old enough. Just a reminder for perspective the BB era was 1946 to 1964.

In fact it is said that the golden age began in the 1950 so it was well and truly under way but the time BB where hitting the work force, this was a time of growth and prosperity. Abundance of work and opportunities, infrastructure and manufacturing was taking off.

I was born in the last of the BB era and as it happened the golden era had ended in 1970 or so which was well before I entered the work force. With the blessing of my literate parents I left school at the age of 14, mums ethos was get a job any job as long as you get a pay packet each week, save you money buy a house and pay it off because you will need that when you get married and have kids.

That was pretty much the ethos of most BB parents and most like I followed that good advice, except for the getting married bit which statistical going on others around my age was a smart move. Not sure if there is few if any people of my aged group that has not been divorced, I may e a rare exception LOL

Anyway I did the work hard and save, brought my home when I was 17-18, $38k for that, hard to imagine a home on 750sqm could be brought fot that and at the time I would have pissed myself laughing it would one day be worth 10 times let alone 20 times that. Went halves with my brother, brought out his half when he divorced a few years later LOL

Despite not having the same opportunities of earlier BB I did reasonably well but I got a bit bored with that and looked to having some sort of career away from physical work or the like. Long story short I went from being a high school drop out aged 14 without a HS leaving certificate to having a Certificate 3 in business, to Diploma in Management to completing a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Management and Marketing

I never got into the dream jobs at the time in Market Research or Marketing but I have no regrets and part of my business success was due to that education. Who knows what I could have done if I had not dropped out of school and went to university which I could have done for free. LOL given my hand writing I would have been a doctor

Lets not forget that in days gone by physical labour was probably the type of work most people did, more by necessity because they were the jobs available. Mechanisation, automation and technology has replaced much of the need for physical labour. Hence now the services sector is the biggest employer, unless you get into construction Australians don't want the low paid shitty jobs

So I sit here and I can reflect on being a BB but also experiencing what younger people experienced getting education and getting a job. It was all a lot simpler in days gone by and a lot more complex for young people.

Reading some of the posts was a laugh when the are view from two extremes, it would be interesting to get a perspective from some in the 30's 40's age group. But not sure there are any here, probably too busy working, maintaining a family and paying off their debt

Again I know it's the humour forum but the opposing view have been funny

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.