why bother praying when it doesnt work, page-21

1. 9,474 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 169
    for what it's worth,

someone who believes in the power of prayer,

even though he is totally self-relyant

Bear Grylls,

http://www.catholicdigest.com/articles/people/q_and_a/2012/05-15/a-qa-with-bear-grylls-adventurer

You’ve said that your faith gives you a secret strength and help when you need it most. Would you talk a bit more about that and also give an example?

My experiences in the wild and in the military have shown me that it takes a proud man to say he never needs any help, and I am no longer afraid to admit I need help! My Christian faith has been a quiet strength and a solid backbone running through these adventures, and for me at its heart it is about finding home

You pray very often during your adventures. Would you share a time when prayer helped you get through an especially difficult or challenging situation?

There have been many! But I remember once, during an expedition when I led a team in a small inflatable boat attempting to cross the Arctic Ocean, we hit some monster storms off the ice packs of Greenland and should really have died. During the night on of our crew, Nige, who was not a believer, saw an angel sitting on the front of the boat. Even though the sheer volume and scale of these giant waves, mixed with gale force conditions, icebergs, and hail, was threatening to overturn us for two days, we came through it — humbled and grateful for life. Nige found a wonderful faith after that.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.