why do indians play the victim

1. 718 Posts.

Many Indians I have come in contact with are very sensitive and seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

Now this is a generalization I know and it does not apply to all Indians by any stretch and I am not exactly sure why this should be except that it may be because they see themselves as part of a greater underclass as a group who en mass are very quick to judge others and pigeon hole people according to social status etc, as per their culture.

Hierarchy is very important in India. Knowing your place and the place of others perhaps has a side effect of causing resentment when one feels others are being unfair toward one.

The other possibility is confusion. Confusion because whilst in another culture or country e.g. Australia, those boundaries or ones place in the pecking order is not exactly clear. Moreover, as Australia tries to be an egalitarian society - supposedly although I do think that is largely a myth - this makes it more difficult for a person who comes from a hierarchical based social system to fit in and feel comfortable with it.

Perhaps this confusion has bread resentment toward others as when one judges others, one often feels one is also being judged likewise. We are and become something of a victim of our own prejudice or the judging of others. And when you are in a foreign land, with brown skin coming from a country that so readily judges and places people into a social cast, one may feel very venerable and somewhat inadequate, hence believing that one is being discriminated against or otherwise the victim of racism.

That's my take on it anyway.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.