why do we so desperately need to be in surplus, page-49

1. 47,326 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    moondoong

You posted;
    ""Growth compounds!"
    So does debt Lapdog, and interest payments."

Of course they do and on other threads on this forum I've indicated means by which the budget could have been returned to surplus - unwinding of welfare for the wealthy including massively subsidised 'private schools' and that obscene diesel fuel rebate for multinational mining companies for example.

Responsible budgeting is etched into my DNA and I agree that governments at all levels should not treat taxpayers and ratepayers as open-ended cheque books.

But governments should lead in the development of a more productive society at the same time they provide support for the vulnerable and needy.

Wise investment in high quality education and the universal provision of affordable access to cutting edge telecommunications technologies is essential to delivering better productivity. These should be viewed not as COSTS but as INVESTMENTS.

As a shareholder of a range of publicly listed companies the COST that irritates me most is that of rampant executive remuneration - something that has become an artform that has reached 70 times average company employee earnings.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.